Familie de Ligne

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

After a long journey

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eduard Noël de Ligne

PostSubject: After a long journey   Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:39 am

The whole trip Eduard commented about his excitement on getting back to Holland. Of course the scenery on the road was not new to Kathryn. The reason for them two travelling to northern part of Holland was however. Eduard really had to force himself to listen to Kathryn as well. But he knows she is a pleasant listener enjoying being around him. After a long journey they arrived at Edam. After leaving their belongings at Volendam they took their horses to travel in western direction towards Edam. Finally the day had come he will be able to introduce Kathryn to his parents. And of course see how his little brother had grown.

From a short distance the gates of the Edam castle come in line of sight. How wonderful it is to travel on ground where there is no threat what so ever. More time to enjoy each others company without having to look over your back to see if there are robbers nearby. Especially for this occasion he placed a robe with the Volendam emblem on Cato. The local formers they pass seem to recognize it and start waving with enthusiasm. These fortunate people had made a good living under the ruling of their Baron and Baroness, his parents.

Eduard pulls the reins of Cato to slow him down. He wants to enjoy the last few meters to absorb the surrounding. Spring time in Edam is a real treat for ones eyes. Large groups of yellow daffodils color the landscape. A lot of bee activity with their wonderful zooming sound is a pleasure to one’s hearing. Eduard turns towards Kathryn to look at her face. He throws her a glance filled with happiness. He sighs deep to saturate his lungs with the fresh breeze of air.
Okay...are you ready Kath's? It was more of a comment rather than a question. Of course she has some thrills. But she told him her eagerness to finally see the faces of the persons he talks so much. Yes, you could say Eduard is proud of his parents and loves to talk about them. The two horses enter the gates to bring them towards the stables. Eduard's thinking get's occupied by the wakening of so many wonderful memories. The large stables where he had been taught to ride a horse by the stable master Inco. The shed where his old dog Marcus stayed during the night. The small barn where he skinned the animals he hunted. And so much more to think of. Again he smiles at Kathryn. Okay dear... let us make way towards the entrance. He speaks to her after helping her climb off the horse and handing over them to the care of the stable master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kathryn

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:04 am

The long trip to Holland was exciting for Kathryn. Flashbacks of her first trip here flooded her mind as she remembered the trepidation, curiosity but also loneliness. She had left England with no hope and by the time she had left Holland to return, her heart was full of joy. Now coming back with her beloved Eduard by her side, she laughed alongside him as they chatted about the memories they had in her first visit here. She loved to hear his stories of growing up and of his family, her eyes sparkling and ears eagerly listening with undisturbed attention as he spoke. The excitement in his voice told her how much he truly loved his family, and in a way, it made her feel just a little guilty knowing that he had left them all behind to be with her.

On her first visit she had immediately fallen in love with Eduard's uncle Silvain, and at first encounter, was attached to both of his sisters. But the thought of meeting the rest of his family caused butterflies in her stomach. She was both excited and nervous. Patting Estrelas, she looks over at Eduard and smiles, feeling so blessed to have him. The first nights in the tavern when she met him were so clear to her; moments she would never forget. To her, he was like a masterpiece picture to look at, his strong features, his gentle heart, his love for justice and goodness - in her eyes, he is pure perfection.

Commenting on the beauty of their surroundings, she slows Estrelas beside Cato, enjoying the view as they pass slowly. She enjoyed the scenery now that Eduard was beside her, more than she had when she travelled alone.
"It is hard to believe I missed all of this beauty." Her eyes gaze into his with a playful twinkle, "But everything besides you turns into something more beautiful, anyways. You are as my sun that lights up my world and brightens my day."

Okay...are you ready Kath's? Taking in a deep breath, Kathryn nods, the butterflies in her stomach reminding her again that they are still there, "Sim, meu amor, I am ready." She hoped her nervousness did not show in her voice. Straightening her skirts after dismounting Estrelas, she walks beside him to the entrance, eager to finally meet his parents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eduard Noël de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:16 am

With some gentle strokes Eduard fixes his tunic, a bit nervous. It has been a while since he last seen his parents. Excited by the reuniting he even tries to fix his hair. He throws a last look at Kathryn before knocking the door. He looks with a comforting smile and uses the iron handle to make their presence known. Normally he would just step inside the door. He thought about it, but decided it would be better to introduce Kathryn more formal. He looks at the towers at both corners of the structure. As a child he loved the view from up there. You can look all the way up to the Zuiderzee. How great it is to be all around the known world and always have a place to call home. A place where every corner of the structure can waken memories of a carefree childhood.

Patiently he waits for reaction at the other side of the door. Some doubts rise in his thinking however. "What if they are not here?" He questions himself. Why would he expect them to be here. He looks around for signs of their presence, but cannot find any. It is probably because he is nervous. And besides that, Patience never was one of his main virtues. Eduard takes a deep breath of Holland air into his lungs and waits some more.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 pm

It has been a lovely day, and a busy one. After his first lessons in the church of Rotterdam, by uncle Nikolaj on the Aristotelian faith, Anthonis was back in Edam to continue his lessons in horse riding, literature, and fencing. However, now he just came back from mass a noon in the little chapel on his way to room to change his clothes for his free afternoon, then he heard knocking on the door.

Surprised that he there was no personnel, nor his parents who knew about visitors, Anthonis, innocently as he was at his young age, just opened the door. Who knew, maybe Bert was here for so they could play in the forest and climb some trees?

Before him stood a beautiful woman he has never seen, and a familiar looking man, wait he knew him!

Eduard! Je bent terug.*

And he flung himself around his brothers leg.

Wanneer ben je terug gekomen en wie is deze dame?**

She looked stunning in her gown, and Anthonis felt like she was a lady of sorts, so he remembered his father's training and stepped to to her, bowed slightly and took her hand for a small kiss. It must have looked funny, Anthonis was only a child, but he was waring his church clothes, so he almost looked like a small adult, trying at least to act like one...

Welkom in Edam, Anthonis ben ik, aangenaam***

Then Anthonis waited...

*) Eduard, your back!
**) When did you come back and who is this lady?
***) Welcome in Edam, I am Anthonis, please to meet you

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pippa de Ligne
Burggravin
Burggravin

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Tue May 03, 2011 3:18 am

With their heads close together they look at the map on the table in Raboude his room on the attic. Their studies are going well and soon they will be ready for the trip to the universities with books they want to read. Pippa can't help to tease Raboude a little with the books she already had read and he answers her with a grin. With a laugh Pippa kisses his bald head and points at Luxeuil.

They have a lot of books there, I think we must go there.

While she is talking she hears some sounds at the front door. In concentration is she listening and recognises Anthonis his voice. She looks at Raboude,

our youngest opened the front door, I think, do you hear that as well?

Pater Familias
Pater Familias

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Tue May 03, 2011 3:38 am

Raboude was looking at the map. Luxeuil, Luxeuil... was that Franche Comté or Lorraine again? Ah, perhaps he could pay a visit to the king then... He was so distracted he didn't hear his wife speaking about books, he just continued thinking about visiting people. When she told him the youngest opened the front door, he asked her without thinking:

Oh? Who is visiting?

Only then it came to his mind they weren't expecting someone, and the fact that the youngest had opened it did rose some other questions. Were they safe? Was his son safe? Immediately he warned a guard and hurried downstairs, his wife closely behind him. Tensions were rising in Holland once again, and he would not allow something to happen to his family.

Downstairs, he saw Anthonis, right next to an opened door. He yelled at him:

Anthonis, get away from the door! Who is there!

Burggravin
Burggravin

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 pm

When Raboude starts to move, Pippa has to make big steps to follow him. It is clear that he has understood her worries and before she is downstairs she hears his voice.

Anthonis, get away from the door! Who is there!

She stops three steps from the floor so she can have a safe look over Raboude his shoulder to see what is happening. It takes her only a second and than she jumps the three stairs in one and with a loud

Eduard!!

puts she her arms around her oldest son at the door and gives him the hugg like she has always given him.

You are home!! Why didn't you tell us you were coming, when did you arrive in Rotterdam? Ohhhh I am so full of joy that you are here. Come, let's go to the kitchen and make you a cup of thee and off course stroopwafels.

When she needs to take a breathe, she sees that he did not come alone and with a red blush she looks at the girl behind hem.

I'm sorry.... I did not see you....

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Sat May 07, 2011 5:35 am

Nervously waiting at the door, Kathryn observes the area surrounding them, taking the few moments to enjoy the scenery. Being outside of England for the first time in a long time, it made her miss her home in Portugal; perhaps someday Eduard could travel with her there.

Hearing the door open, she snaps out of her thoughts and looks to see who is there to greet them. Surprised to see a young boy open the door, she could not help but laugh at his reaction to seeing Eduard. As she watched his brother hug Edu's leg, again she felt the little prick of guilt in her heart for taking him away from his family. She could not understand the words that he spoke to Eduard, but his greeting to her was simple enough, through her active listening when she spent time in Holland and with Eduard's patience, she learned to pick up a few words here and there to understand a little bit.

Impressed with his greeting to her, Kathryn curtsies in return, smiling warmly,
"A true de Ligne, indeed. I am Kathryn and it is a great pleasure to meet you, Anthonis."

Hearing a man yell for Anthonis to get away from the door, Kathryn glances over at Eduard, feeling the butterflies in her stomach again; she could only guess it was Eduard's father. She cannot help but smile when a beautiful woman embraces Eduard, who she guesses is his mother. Seeing the excitement for the reunion of his family, Kathryn's heart was overjoyed for Eduard, knowing how highly he speaks of his family and how much he loves them. Even if she was not noticed the entire time, she would be happy to just watch him with his family. But that did not last for long.

I'm sorry.... I did not see you....

Kathryn smiles warmly at her and curtsies, "'Tis nothing to be sorry for, M'Lady. My name is Kathryn Avis de la Vega. I am very happy to meet you and your family."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthonis de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Sat May 07, 2011 6:40 am

After Anthonis greets the lady she smiles and talks to him in an, for him, unknown language. Anthinos smiles and hopes she is nice. Then he hears his father call.

Anthonis ga weg bij de deur! Wie is daar?*

Then mam runs passed him and hugs his brother, after which she speaks something to the lady, and again Anthonis has no clue what is said. But the lady seems to introduce hereself again, and how he catches her name: Kathryn Avis de la Vega!

Eduard wrote about her!

Ah jij ben Katrien! Kom binnen je moet de keukens zien en dan de ridderkamer en dan mijn kamer! kom kom. **And he grabs her had to drag her inside...

*) Anthonis, get away from the door! Who is there!
**) Ah you are Kathryn! Come inside, you have to see the kitchens and then the knight room and then my room! Come come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eduard Noël de Ligne

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Sun May 08, 2011 3:22 am

With great interest Eduard looks at the small young man who opened the door. "Could it be?" he wondered for just a short moment. Before he can reply his brother he noticed him wrapped around his leg. Eduard smiles and looks at Kathryn with a warm sensation in his belly. He places his right hand on top of the head of his brother, almost covering it complete. He looks proud when he watches Anthonis greeting Kathryn. A true de Ligne manner of greeting someone. With respect and charm. Just the look from his brother made the trip worthwhile.

It doesn't take long before he can hear the voice of his father calling out. Instead of replying all questions he just let the events evolve. Most of the time a question answers itself. Instead of breaking the course of events, Eduard likes to observe and let events flow. He is amazed how much his young brother remembers him about himself at that age. Always several thoughts running through his brain, having to decide which thought to fulfill first. To others it can feel like a whirlwind passing by. But to Eduard his young brother just needs his freedom, like he needed it.

Eduard laughs out loud when a red whirlwind rushes the scene. "Talking about whirlwinds..." he grins thinking. No question from whom they inherited this behavior. He catches his mother and lets himself being embraced with her special hug. He places both his hands on her cheeks and looks deep into her eyes. He saturates himself with the love that is overflowing from behind her light colored eyes. He smiles at her waterfall of words and smiles widely when she mentions stroopwafels. The best medicine to forget al effort to get here. He wraps his arm around his mother and makes his hand rest on her shoulder.
Well mom... It wouldn't be a surprise if I warned you beforehand now would it? He smiles at her and winks at his father, of course the last one to arrive the scene. Or... maybe Laila was around somewhere. He pushes away the thought of greeting his sister the same time. She was a married woman now. Probably not present in Edam at this time. Maybe later her hopes. Or Nathan... who knows where his middle brother hangs out.

He makes his other hand rest on Kathryns shoulder to comfort her. The thought of holding these two wonderful ladies at the same time was a great desire for many months. He swallows a lump in his throat. Finally he is able to introduce Kathryn to his mother. Well...and his father and brother of course
. My loved ones... This is Kathryn as you might have guessed already. Eduard smiles at Anthonis and ruffles his hair. I think Anthonis has more important things planned for her then tea and stroopwafels. He speaks at his parents. He wraps his arms around his father and embraces him cheek against cheek. After the hug he steps aside to allow his parents to greet Kathryn before Anthonis steals her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raboude
Pater Familias
Pater Familias

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 am

What was this mutiny? First his son opening the door for strangers, then his wife joining him? Hm, this could only mean his eldest son had come home, they would never undermine his authority if it weren't for Eduard. Muttering he came closer.

So, perhaps you would like to enter so we can close the door for the many brigands walking around in the country? I know you don't care for etiquette and telling us when you would arrive and the like, but perhaps we can all be at ease a bit then.

Lady Kathryn, welcome in Edam. You might have noticed, but I am Raboude, Eduards father. You have met Anthonis and Pippa already it seems. My apologies for any inconvenience, I feel at a disadvantage with unannounced guests. But this does not mean you and Eduard are less welcome. Tonight we shall dine in Edam and celebrate, in the meantime Eduard and Anthonis can show you the castle.

Anthonis, je mag Eduard en Kathryn vergezellen, maar pas als je je gebeden gedaan hebt, en je lessen voor Nikolaj hebt voorbereid. Afgesproken?

Anthonis, you may accompany Eduard and Kathryn, but only if you have finished your prayers and prepared your lessons for Nikolaj. Agreed?

PostSubject: Re: After a long journey   

Back to top Go down

After a long journey
Page 1 of 1